Saturday, February 16, 2013

A Letter to Free Malaysia Today

The argument whether there is 100% press freedom in Malaysia, print or on-line, is one of divided opinions.

Press freedom not only in Malaysia but in other countries around the world as well.

I subscribe to the principle that everybody has a right of say and reply, with, the key words being, responsibly and sensibly.

The same goes for the medium that chooses to publish what a person wishes to say.

It is not that I am a great admirer of Tun Mahathir or it is an obvious attack on the elder statesman but when a letter such as this one "Dr M, do keep your self respect intact" is published in Free Malaysia Today, you wonder whether there is any editorial intellect or capital in FMT to fall for an apparently skewed missive.

Letters, of this sort and these days, are a sen a dozen.

More so when it is contradictive and dishonest from the word go.

The writer would want to impress but fail to disguise a true detestation, lambasting in grandiloquent manner, and you know where the person is coming from and going to, by the very first confounding paragraph,
"I used to revere Dr Mahathir. I am, after all a product of his period and up till now, I respect him as an elderly man even though his misdeeds affected me and my compatriots adversely. My mother taught me to respect my elders"
Yes indeed, "used to revere Dr Mahathir" and respect, despite and in spite of all the "misdeeds" as in the letter lies, pun intended.

And by the way, what's with this continued attraction and interest for Tun Mahathir, when he is already an "old" man, when he's "no longer" relevant?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Kevin, some people were 'allergic' to the truth that must be said especially so if it hit their pinnochio nose. To them what is fed by their tokong, self appointed religious zealots and god-given being is the truth. What they really see and hear from others, even if it is no lies but the truth will be considered as blasphemy.
That is why I personally won't vote for their party(ies?)in the coming election for the simple reason of not wanting the nation to be a country of liars and _____????

Freddie Kevin said...

Anon 14.24

I have been caught up with a lot of work and aopologose to you and all commenters for not responding to comments. I agree that the opposition can only rely on lies and spins and what is worse it is politics of hatred. Read MP Wee Choo Keong's interview with the Star today.

Thank you.

Best regards
Freddie